Beat the Peak
Enroll to receive Beat the Peak alerts and reduce electricity when the demand price for electricity is high and you could win $50!
We’ll send you a Beat the Peak Alert by text, email and/or phone message asking you to reduce electricity when demand and price are high. Peak demand most often occurs from 2 to 6 p.m. on the hottest days of summer and from 5 to 9 p.m. the coldest days of winter.
Reducing peak demand helps reduce the wholesale price Polk-Burnett pays for electricity. The savings benefits everyone by not having to increase the rate you pay for kWh energy. Peak energy savings also reduces the need for power generation and reduces our carbon footprint, which is good for the environment.
All who enroll will be entered into a drawing for a $50 electric bill credit; 10 will be awarded.
Your participation is voluntary and will not affect your current electric bill, but it is important. Every little bit helps!
- Reduce electricity during WINTER PEAK, 5 to 9 p.m.
- Lower your thermostat 4 degrees.
- Wash laundry and dishes before 5 p.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Shut off lights and electronics.
- Clean and replace furnace filter.
- Open shades and curtains during the day to let sunlight in. Close at night to keep heat inside.
- Turn off space heaters in garages, basements and rooms that aren’t in use.
- Check for air leaks and caulk around doors, windows and wherever pipes and wires enter the house. Keep warm air in and cold air out.