Using a space heater this winter? Follow these 6 tips
Space heaters are a leading cause of house fires. Keep your home and family safe:
- Make sure space heater has an auto shutoff if it tips over.
- Plug space heater directly into an outlet, never an extension cord.
- Space heaters should be cool to the touch when in use.
- Place space heater on a level, non-flammable surface, away from rugs, curtains and furniture.
- Never leave a space heater unattended when in use. Unplug when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Don’t be misled by expensive models that claim to lower heating bills. Electric heaters cost from $30 to $300, but no matter what the price, all 1,500-watt electric heaters use the same amount of electricity to operate and deliver the same heat output. Be safe and stay clear of marketing hype.
Get the facts about electric space heaters from the energy experts at Polk-Burnett, 800-421-0283, ext. 595.