Are you planning a home improvement project?
Planting a tree? Building a deck? Excavating a new garden?
Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means contacting 811 or Diggers Hotline before each job, even small projects like planting a shrub or installing a mail box.
Why call Diggers Hotline before you dig?
- It's the law! Wisconsin Statute 182.0175 requires all excavators, including homeowners and construction contractors, to contact Diggers Hotline at least three working days before starting the work.
- Safety! Calling Diggers Hotline before every digging job helps prevent harm to you or those around you.
- Power reliability! Damaging underground power lines can cause electric disruption to you and/or your entire area.
- Money! Not calling may cost you financially. Calling Diggers Hotline three working days before you begin your project to have buried lines located is free. But if a buried cable is damaged without a call to Diggers Hotline or before the start date and time as provided by Diggers Hotline, you will be financially responsible for the damage, as well as a fine of up to $2,000.
How to contact Diggers Hotline?
- Contact Diggers Hotline by calling 811, 800-242-8511 or visit the the Diggers Hotline website to begin the process by e-mail.
- Contact Diggers Hotline anytime; the call center is open 24/7, but keep in mind that Monday and Tuesday mornings are the busiest calling times.
- Diggers Hotline requires at least three working days prior to the start of the excavation. As defined by state law, a working day is any day other than Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays.
- Emergency locates are given top priority. Members will respond to emergencies by telephone generally within one hour to state if buried facilities are present and to indicate if a field locator will be dispatched and, if so, when. Members will mark facilities within the emergency excavation area as soon as possible, generally within three hours or prior to the start of the excavation, whichever is later.
After making the call:
- Keep the ticket number you receive from Diggers Hotline; it is your legal proof that you have called Diggers Hotline and complied with the law.
- You have 10 calendar days from your project's start date (which you receive from Diggers Hotline) to begin your work. The markings remain valid if you continue to work on your project without interruptions.
What power lines will be marked?
Keep in mind that Diggers Hotline will NOT locate private facilities marked. Examples of private facilities include an electric line to your detached garage, shed or yard light, an underground sprinkler system, security system, private sewer or water system and walkway lights connected by underground cables. These are facilities that are owned by you. To have private facilities marked, please contact a local electrician.
Contact Diggers Hotline
811 | 800-242-8511 | 800-542-2289 (TTY)