Thanks to the support of co-op members, two local Salvation Army chapters, St. Croix Falls High School and other area nonprofits received a financial boost this quarter. Polk-Burnett’s Operation Round Up awarded $10,994 to 14 community organizations at its January 2, 2019, meeting.
Funding for Operation Round Up is donated by members of Polk-Burnett Electric Cooperative who round their monthly electric bill up to the next even dollar amount. Grant recipients are selected quarterly by a committee of co-op members, with financial donations awarded to nonprofit organizations that improve our local quality of life.
“Concern for community is one of our core values as a cooperative. We are pleased to support many worthy programs through Operation Round Up, and we thank our members for their participation and generosity. Together, we are making a positive difference in our community,” said Polk-Burnett General Manager Steve Stroshane.
Operation Round Up grant recipients for winter 2019 are:
1. Village of Siren, $1,000, to help replace fishing pier at Crooked Lake Park
2. Burnett County Special Olympics, $500, to purchase uniforms, equipment, transportation and fees for local athletes
3. Workforce Resources, Inc., $1,000, to provide food service/culinary arts education in Burnett County
4. Webster School District, $1,000, to support food backpack program for kids
5. Northwoods Flyers EEA Chapter 1537, $500, to buy fuel for vintage military planes at 2019 Gandy Dancer Air Show
6. Gift of Warm Clothing, $1,500, to buy coats, boots, snow pants, hats, mittens and scarves for local children
7. Healthy Burnett, $279, to help with website expenses
8. St. Croix Falls High School Alternative Education, $765, to purchase and install two desk bicycles for students
9. The Salvation Army, Polk County Serenity Homes, $1,000, to support food backpack program for kids
10. The Salvation Army, Burnett County Faith House, $1,000, to support food backpack program for kids
11. Clear Lake Public Library, $1,000, to replace outdated computers
12. Natural Alternative Food Co-op, $600, to purchase Food for Change movie for community presentations
13. Burnett County Tourism Coalition, $600, to promote county tourism in Minnesota & Midwest Tour Guide
14. Cub Scout Pack 564, $250, to help with expenses for 15th-Annual Youth Ice Fishing Day, Crooked Lake, Siren
Nonprofit organizations interested in applying for a grant or co-op members who’d like to round their bill up in support of Operation Round Up may contact 800-421-0283 or see our Operation Round Up webpage. The next application deadline is March 1.